Italiano English San Leo Official Facebook page San Leo Official Twitter profile San Leo Official Flickr page San Leo Official YouTube channel San Leo Official Instagram profile
  • San Leo official website
  • The Bandiera Arancione award
  • Borghi più belli d'Italia
  • The most beautiful villages in Italy association (I Borghi più belli d'Italia)
Monuments&MuseumsMonuments&MuseumsMonuments&MuseumsMonuments&Museums

Monuments&Museums

Visiting San Leo does not only mean discovering the wonderful buildings on the ancient boulder but also entering the surrounding countryside where there are still testimonies of the ancient and glorious past, well blended with the present.

Monastery of Sant'Igne
Church and Monastery of Sant'Igne
Museum of Sacred Art
The palace hosting the museum, called Palazzo Mediceo, right in the town centre of San Leo, was built between 1517 and 1523, as a residence for the governor of San Leo and Montefeltro, who then represented the Republic of Florence in the area. The troops from Florence, led by Antonio Ricasoli took San Leo in May 1517, in a historical battle celebrated by the famous fresco by Vasari, which can be admired in the Palazzo Vecchio, in Florence.
The building appears to visitors as a spectacular backdrop, dominating the main square. Lying between the Parish church and the Cathedral, the building has a typical renaissance structure organised around the drawing rooms on the ground floor, although the courtyard, typical of palaces in Florence, is missing here. Restoration works ended in 1995, bringing back the building to its original size.
The Cathedral
The Cathedral rises high on a rocky peak, just like a speaker on a podium. Saint Leo´s cathedral strongly clings to the rock underneath, on a spot that has been considered sacred since Roman Times.
Opening time 9.30-12.30 and 14.30-19.00
The Renaissance fortress
San Leo´s towering and undulating chalky peak, drifted in Miocene by the stream from the Tyrrhenian to the Adriatic Sea, has always been a natural stronghold.
The Fortress´s Museum
Today a museum, the Fortress is first and foremost a valuable example of military architecture. The mountain on which San Leo rises, for its towering position over the valley below and its geographical features, with steep stone walls perpendicular to the floor, has always been a natural stronghold. The Romans, well aware of its strategic value, built there a first fortification. During the middle Ages, the fortress was fought over by the Byzantines, the Goths, the Lombards and the Franks.
The Parish Church
The Parish Church is the oldest religious building in San Leo and in the entire Montefeltro area. It is the first tangible sign of the spreading of Christendom in the region, the starting point of a history in which religion and traditions are closely intertwined.
Orario di apertura 9.30-12.30 e 14.30-19.00
Piero della Francesca´s Balconies
The Landscapes that inspire Renaissance painters such as come Piero della Francesca, Raphael, and Leonardo da Vinci are real and ridde away in the hills of the Montefeltro area.
The bell tower
The bell tower is the most secluded building in town, with its imposing, massing structure. It rises on a broken ground towering over the city centre tall and haughty, just like a master that has been makes scaring people off for centuries.
Palazzo Mediceo
Palazzo Mediceo was built between 1517and 1523. Its main purpose was that of hosting the Governor of San Leo and the Montefeltro area on behalf of the Republic of Florence.
Palazzo della Rovere
Francesco Maria II Della Rovere (1549-1631) ordered the construction of this palace back in the 17th century. It is today the city hall.
The spring of Saint Leo
Dating quite likely back to the Roman times, the first documents about the spring go back to the 17th century, when a channel was built to provide water to the mill in the northern area of town. The mill was unfortunately destroyed
Fountain
It was built in 1893, right where in the Middle Ages stood the town´s elm tree, also called Saint Francis´s elm tree.
Memorial tablets and commemorative plaques
Most memorial tablets and commemorative plaques in San Leo can be found on the façade of buildings in the main square, piazza Dante.
War memorial
The memorial was built before 1928, by architect Dino Borradori from Guastalla.
Church of Our Lady of Loreto
The church dedicated to Our Lady of Loreto was erected in 1640 by the townsfolk, willing to thank the Virgin for having spared them during the terrible landslide that swamped the second access door to the city and most of the houses in the town centre.
Interactive Map Discover on the map the places of interest

Filter Monuments&Museums: Insights:

Gallery

Attachments
  • How to reach San Leo, in Italy Getting here

    San Leo lies in Rimini's hinterland, in southern Emilia Romagna, on the border of Tuscany, Le Marche Region and the Republic of San Marino.
    Look at the map »