Italiano English San Leo Official Facebook page San Leo Official Twitter profile San Leo Official Flickr page San Leo Official YouTube channel San Leo Official Instagram profile
  • San Leo official website
  • The Bandiera Arancione award
  • Borghi più belli d'Italia
  • The most beautiful villages in Italy association (I Borghi più belli d'Italia)
Monumenti&Musei: The city centre

Palazzo Mediceo

Palazzo Mediceo was built between 1517and 1523. Its main purpose was that of hosting the Governor of San Leo and the Montefeltro area on behalf of the Republic of Florence.

Palazzo Mediceo

The troops of the city of Florence, led by Antonio Ricasoli, conquered San Leo in May 1517 with an historical battle celebrated by Vasari with a fresco in Florence’s Palazzo Vecchio.

The building lies between the Parish Church and the Cathedral, right on the main square. In typical Renaissance style, it features four halls on the ground floor but lacks the court typical of Tuscan mansions. The restoration works, achieved in 1995, brought back the building to its original size. The façade is decorated with beveled cornice. In full Tuscan style, the round-arched door is topped by smooth ashlar moulding whereas windows are surmounted by sandstone decorations.

The city of Florence’s coat of arms, with the famous lily, is carved in the stone right on the main door. It dates back to 1521 and stands right next to the coat of arms of Pope Julius II, born Giuliano della Rovere (What you see on the building is a copy, the original coat of arms is held in the theatre hall).
The Della Rovere family, between the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th century, decided to widen the Palace by adding the theatre hall with its vaulted ceiling reposing on corbels decorated with an oak tree with intertwining branches, which was the symbol of this family, coming from the region of Liguria, Italy. At the time, the hall was furnished with a wooden stairway, movable theatre curtains and theatre devices.
When the area was handed over to the Papal States in 1631, the palace became a property of the Church State as well.
In 1948, it underwent further restoration works and a new floor was added in order to bring back the harmony of the original 17th century building.
The Palace currently hosts the Museum of Sacred Art on the upper floor, the Offices of the Department for Cultural and Tourist Promotion, the Historical Archive and the Library. The ground floor halls host travelling art exhibitions and the Tourist Information Office (IAT).
 
For more information call: +39 0541 926967