Italiano English San Leo Official Facebook page San Leo Official Twitter profile San Leo Official Flickr page San Leo Official YouTube channel San Leo Official Instagram profile
  • San Leo official website
  • The Bandiera Arancione award
  • Borghi più belli d'Italia
  • The most beautiful villages in Italy association (I Borghi più belli d'Italia)
Monumenti&Musei: Museums

Museum of Sacred Art

The palace hosting the museum, called Palazzo Mediceo, right in the town centre of San Leo, was built between 1517 and 1523, as a residence for the governor of San Leo and Montefeltro, who then represented the Republic of Florence in the area. The troops from Florence, led by Antonio Ricasoli took San Leo in May 1517, in a historical battle celebrated by the famous fresco by Vasari, which can be admired in the Palazzo Vecchio, in Florence.
The building appears to visitors as a spectacular backdrop, dominating the main square. Lying between the Parish church and the Cathedral, the building has a typical renaissance structure organised around the drawing rooms on the ground floor, although the courtyard, typical of palaces in Florence, is missing here. Restoration works ended in 1995, bringing back the building to its original size.


Museum of Sacred Art

The façade is embellished by elegant moulded stone cornices, the round-arched door is surrounded by a smooth ashlar moulding in typical Tuscan style, whereas windows are adorned with mixed lines local stone panels.
The lily in the coat of arms of the city of Florence is carved in a stone going back to 1521, according to the inscription on it, next to it also appears the emblem of Pope Julius II, born Giuliano della Rovere (the one showcased outside is a copy of the original one, kept today in the Theatre Hall).
Between the end of the XIV and the beginning of the XVII century, the Della Roveres enlarged the building by adding other rooms and a theatre hall, with a vaulted ceiling lying on corbels with the emblem of the family, coming from the Liguria region (typically, an oak tree with interwoven branches) originally featuring a wooden staircase, movable curtains and stage machines.
After the Montefeltro area was handed over to the Papal State in 1631, the palace too became a property of the Church.
In 1948, the building was further extended by adding up a floor, thus recreating the visual harmony that was somehow altered by the restoration works carried out in the XVII century. The Palace currently hosts the Museum of Sacred Art, the town’s historical archives and library on the upper floor and temporary exhibitions on the ground floor.